Sunday 19 February 2017

PROJECT LIVING-DEAD 2

“Doc, she has been spotted!”
“Where?”
“In the slums off Premier Road street. She’s alone too!”
“She has to be brought back to the lab! She poses a huge threat to the public! Get me my phone, I need to talk to the General.”
“But sir, what about the men I already ordered to go retrieve her? Shouldn’t we wait for a report from them before we call the General?”

“Tunde, you are a stupid fellow! What gave you the idea that she’d still be there? Even if she was, my best bet is, those men are dead already!”
“Dead?!” Tunde gulped really hard.
“Yes, dead! Or alive, if they were lucky enough not to meet her. Now excuse me I need to make a call.” With this, he stepped out of the lab with his phone while trying to think of the right words to tell the General about the missing girl.

“Good morning General, there seems to be a little problem. The girl, I mean TYPE-C, is on the loose and we might be needing extra hands.”
There was silence on the other end. “Hello General, are you there?”
“You’re such an incompetent fool, Dr. Bayo! How much do I pay you, again?! And there you are, calling me at this time of the night to tell me that you’ve lost contact with my device!”

“Sir, she overpowered the men you placed here as guards. We tried our best to knock her out with the serum but it didn’t have any effect on her. She is getting immune to the serum.”
“Your explanation holds nothing! The fact still remains that you are useless. Has she been sighted?”
“Yes sir, she was last seen in the slums around Premier road street.”

“Alright then, I’ll have that taken care of. But know this, when she is brought back, you have just three weeks to complete whatever it is you do in there, in that lab.”
“Three weeks?! But sir…,” the doctor stuttered.
“Am I clear?!!!”
“Yes sir, very much clear, sir.”
“But she is not nearly ready, yet and three weeks is way too little a time. He just keeps throwing orders and unbeatable deadlines without registering that there could be consequences,” Dr. Bayo muttered to himself, oblivious to the fact his assistant had been standing behind him for a while.

“Emmm…excuse me sir,” Tunde tapped his boss on the shoulder.
Jolting back to reality, Dr. Bayo made the karate hand move in defense, but was surprised to see it was his lanky assistant, standing behind him. “You idiot! Don’t sneak up on people like that! I could have killed you!”
Stifling a bit of laughter, Tunde held up his hands in mock surrender.
“Why were you eavesdropping on my conversation?” the doctor asked angrily.

“Sir, I wasn’t! I only came to tell you that the men are back and they’ve got more bad news, she wasn’t found, but errrm…it’s uh…” Tunde stammered.
“But what? Speak up, Tunde! My day can’t be any worse than this!”
“They found the bodies of three men. One was unconscious, the other two were badly injured.”
“Shit! She has only just started, she doesn’t have a clue of what she can do and there are already casualties. The men? I mean the injured ones, what’s their status?”

“Umm…they’ve been put down, sir.”
“Good! we do not need anyone going around running their mouths.” Adjusting his glasses, the doctor began walking back into the lab. “We have to get things ready; we’ve got just three weeks left to complete everything on TYPE-C. Hopefully, her memory won’t return before she is brought back here.”
Suddenly, he heard Tunde say, “Sir, she has been spotted again! Should I send some men to go fetch her?”

No comments: